See the original plans for a historic Headland church

The original plans for St Andrew's Church.
The original plans for St Andrew's Church.

You may know it more recently as Mary Rowntree’s.

The restaurant on the Headland formerly went by the name of St Andrew’s which was originally built in Hartlepool as a fisherman’s church in 1886.

It was consecrated a year later and it had a strong congregation for decades.

They helped with everything from raising funds to cleaning, including a certain Mary Rowntree who was a member of the congregation.

The church lay empty for years until its renovation in 2011.

It is another of the landmark buildings in Hartlepool whose original plans have been acquired by the Central Library’s reference section,

It has recently taken the original plans for more than 100 of the town’s best known buildings - from schools to churches and pubs to swimming baths.

They can be used in many ways, said Sandra McKay, the Library Officer in the Reference Services section of the York Road-based library.

They can be used by people wanting to research their own ancestry by going into more detail rather than just getting a list of names.

Copies of the plans are also available to buy and to find out more, contact Sandra on (01429) 242909.

We have so far featured the plans of St Andrew’s as well as the Owton Manor estate, Seaton Swimming Baths, and the Howbeck Institution.

Watch out in the coming weeks for a focus on the West Hartlepool public library and the town’s new passenger station.