HINTS and tips for anyone looking to cut down in the new year:
● Make a plan before you start drinking, set yourself a limit on how much you’re going to drink;
● Set yourself a budget – only take a fixed amount of money to spend on alcohol;
● On your side – if you let your friends and family know you’re cutting down and that it’s important to you, you may get their support;
● Take it a day at a time – try and cut back a little each day – then every day you do is a success;
● Make it a smaller one – you can still enjoy a drink but go for smaller sizes. Try bottled beer or a small glass of wine.
● Have a lower-strength drink – cut down the alcohol by swapping strong beers or wines for ones with a lower strength (ABV in per cent);
● Stay hydrated – drink a pint of water before you start drinking and avoid using alcohol to quench your thirst,
● Take a break – have the odd day here and there each week when you don’t have a drink.
Contact Chris Cordner by writing to him at New Clarence House, Wesley Square, Hartlepool, TS24 8BX or email Chris Cordner