Alerted to flat blaze

A CONCERNED motorist called firefighters after spotting flames through the window of a flat.

The motorist was driving past the flats at the bottom of Church Street, in Hartlepool, when they spotted flames in the kitchen window.

Crews from Stranton Fire Station were called and fire chiefs said the owner of the flat had been melting wax on the stove which caused flames and smoke.

There was no damage to the kitchen and crews gave the owner a home fire safety visit after the incident at 5.15pm yesterday.