Allotment holders will not be charged

ALLOTMENT holders who were arrested after pinning down two thieves they caught red-handed will not be charged.

The dad and son left a 20-year-old burglar with a head wound and an ear injury after they found him snooping around Throston Allotments, off Elmwood Road, Hartlepool.

The men, aged 60 and 32, were quizzed on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and bailed, as reported in the Hartlepool Mail. Police say no further action will be taken against them.

Dean Hansom, 20, and his 17-year-old accomplice were also arrested and charged with burglary with intent to steal.

Hansom, of Wiltshire Way, Hartlepool, was given a 12-month community order with 60 hours of unpaid work at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court.

The teenager, who can not be named for legal reasons, was referred to a young offenders team and both were ordered to pay £25 in compensation and £42.50 in costs.

The 32-year-old man, who did not want to be named, told the Mail that the raiders had been trying to steal metal items from his plot when he heard banging.

He had armed himself with a wooden broom handle and admitted striking the older thief when he thought he was going to be attacked.

He said: “I hit him on the head. It happened really quickly. I was worried because he came towards me.

“We were trying to get them to lie down on the ground while the police came, but one got up.

“I didn’t expect to be arrested or anything. I was just defending myself and my property.”

Officers had been called to Throston allotments, off Elmwood Road, Hartlepool, at 2pm on Wednesday, October 19, last year.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “Both men will not face any further action in relation to the matter.”