HARTLEPOOL Mayor Stuart Drummond is hoping a multi-million pound regeneration scheme will see “big improvements” to a rundown neighbourhood.
Hartlepool Borough Council’s housing market renewal (HMR) programme plans to transform the Perth Street area by demolishing 199 terraced properties and replacing them with 95 modern homes.
So far 108 homes have been bought “by agreement” by the council, costing more than £3m.
But the development stalled after plans to buy the remaining houses using Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) were objected to by Jomast Property and Finance, which owns three houses in the area, and agent Thomas Stevenson, who represents 52 landlords.
They argued there had been no proper consultation with private landlords and that the proposals are out of date.
That led to a three-day public inquiry in February.
It has since been announced that Eric Pickles, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, came down on the side of the council after accepting the recommendations of planning inspector Philip Major.
Speaking at a meeting of the council’s cabinet committee, Mayor Stuart Drummond said the plans had received support from residents.
Mayor Drummond said: “The good guys always win and we have been doing this for the right reasons – to help the residents and the area.
“We are going to see big improvements down there over the coming months.”
Objectors have until the end of June to appeal the decision to the High Court.
The total cost of buying all of the houses is expected to be around £10m and Keepmoat Homes has been chosen as the developer.
Mayor Drummond added: “There is a lot of support from residents and hopefully there will be some swift action once the time for potential appeals has come to an end.
“We should know by July 1 and if there are any objections then there needs to be strong grounds.”
Labour councillor Ged Hall said: “There has been an awful lot of work and burning of the midnight oil on this scheme.
“This will be a great development for the area.”