Bed bug nightmare in hotel room

Debra Bratt
Debra Bratt

A MUM was left covered in infected bites after waking up in a hotel room to find her bed crawling with bed bugs.

Debra Bratt said she felt like she was taking part in an I’m A Celebrity-style Bushtucker Trial after turning the lights on in the middle of the night to discover insects of all different sizes crawling over the beds in her Travelodge room.

Infected bites all over Debra's body after spending the night in the Travelodge room which was infested with bed bugs.

Infected bites all over Debra's body after spending the night in the Travelodge room which was infested with bed bugs.

The mum-of-two has since been prescribed antibiotics after bug bites all over her body became infected, more than a week after she spent the night in the room with her two sisters.

Disgusted Debra now says she can’t shut her eyes on a night without seeing the “awful” image of the insects crawling over the beds.

Debra, who lives in Hartlepool’s Grange Road, has since received a letter from the Travelodge customer service team confirming that the room in the London Central Kings Cross Royal Scot Hotel was found to be infested with bed bugs after an investigation. They said the room has since been treated by a pest control company and will continue to be monitored.

Debra had been visiting her younger sister, Sharon Abbey, in London with her two other sisters, Sue Cook and Julie Porritt when their journey home encountered problems on Sunday, November 11.

One tube station was closed, Debra’s sister Sue was feeling ill and with a journey back to the other side of London to Sharon’s house not viable, they decided to book a room in the nearest Travelodge.

The three sisters went straight to bed, but when Debra woke up in the early hours she discovered the gruesome sight.

“I woke up and put the light on and all three beds were covered,” she said.

“I woke Julie up straight away but I didn’t want to wake Sue up because she really hadn’t been very well at all and she needed her sleep.

“I was just trying to get all of the bugs off the beds but there were so many of them.”

Debra, who is a careworker in the town, went to the hotel reception at 7am with a tissue full of the insects she found in her room.

“I didn’t want to cause a scene but I explained the situation to them,” she said.

“The woman on reception asked me why I didn’t come and tell them straight away but I explained that my sister had been really ill and I didn’t want to disturb her, and I had some of the bugs in the tissue to show them.”

Travelodge agreed to refund the sisters for the room but days later Debra began to notice dozens of bites coming out all over her body.

She visited One Life Hartlepool on Sunday night and was told the bites were infected, and is now on a course of antibiotics.

“It was just an absolute nightmare,” she said.

“To think that they had been crawling around us while we were asleep is absolutely awful and now I’m covered in these bites.

“We had been watching I’m a Celebrity earlier in the night and when I woke up I felt like I was in a Bushtucker Trial.”

A Travelodge spokeswoman said: “We are doing everything we can to help the customer and we hope to be able to work with her to get an outcome she is happy with.”