Bin blaze sparks a power cut

0
Have your say

DOZENS of homes were hit by a power cut sparked after a wheelie bin fire spread to an electricity box.

A crew from Peterlee Fire Station was called to Grisedale Road, in the town, after the bin fire – thought to be accidental – melted an electricity supply box on the side of a mid-terraced house.

Watch manager Ian Brown said firefighters were at risk of being electrocuted by attempting to put the fire out, so Northern Powergrid officials had to dig up the road to access the power cable and isolate the supply.

This led to 69 homes in the street and Kirkstone Avenue and Scafell Close being left without power for an hour, after the incident, around 8.20pm on Saturday.

A power cable, guttering and a back door were fire-damaged.