Bird’s nest blamed for causing chimney fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A BIRD’S nest is being blamed for causing a chimney fire.

Crews from Hartlepool and Billingham were sent to Hylton Road, in Billingham, to a report of a chimney on fire.

The call to the emergency services was received at 3.05pm today and a crew from Hartlepool’s Stranton Station spent an hour tackling the flames.

Billingham firefighters were still at the scene at around 5pm.

A spokesman from Stranton Fire Station said: “It looks like debris from a bird’s nest must have come down onto the back of the gas fire.

“When it has been switched on, it has caused a fire in the chimney.

“Everyone got out okay, it was just smoke damage.”