Boy rescued after electrical fault sparks oven fire in Wingate

editorial image
0
Have your say

A WOMAN and a child had to be evacuated after an electrical fault sparked an oven fire.

Two crews from Peterlee Fire Station were called to a house in Sandford Close, in Wingate, to a report of a cooker alight.

When firefighters arrived, smoke and flames were bursting out of the electric oven.

A woman and a boy had to evacuate the house after smoke alarms had alerted them to the fire.

Ian Moore, watch manager at Peterlee Fire Station, said: “The oven had been on and cooking, but it was not in use shortly before the incident.

“The fire was caused by an electrical fault. We had to disconnect the gas supply while the oven got checked over.”

The incident happened around 2.15pm yesterday and crews spent half an hour in attendance.