Awards entries break all records

Chris Grieveson, John Megson and Brian Beaumont at the launch of the Hartlepool Business Awards
Chris Grieveson, John Megson and Brian Beaumont at the launch of the Hartlepool Business Awards

HARTLEPOOL’S prestigious business awards are looking set to break records.

 More firms than ever before have shown an early interest in taking part in the Hartlepool Business Awards competition in which companies are bidding to win a share of a £12,000 prize fund.

 It culminates in a glittering ceremony on Thursday, May 17, when the prizes will be given out at the awards evening at the Borough Hall.

 Awards co-ordinator John Megson said: “The update for the Awards looks quite encouraging. If all the companies who have requested entry packs convert them into entries then we will have more than last year, but we still require more companies to enter. Interestingly there are a good number of new companies who haven’t entered before.”

 He said the retail sector was looking strong and encouraged more firms to put their names forward, particularly in categories such as manufacturing, export, environment and tourism and leisure.”

 Mr Megson added: “We are heading for 80 at the moment and would expect to see 100 indicative entries to whom we forward the entry packs.”

 He said there was every chance that last year’s total of 66 entries would be exceeded.

 There was more good news for awards organisers. Mr Megson said: “It is likely that the event on May 17 will be a sell-out and tickets are already in big demand.”