A MUM has been left “devastated” after the venue she had bookedfor her daughter’s wedding reception cancelled the do just weeks before the big day.
Hartlepool woman Pat Draper had kindly offered to organise the wedding of her daughter Louise Draper to Indian–born Calvin George, as the couple live and work out in Kuwait, in the Middle East.
So 52–year–old Pat arranged, with the pair’s blessing, for them to tie the knot at Hartlepool’s HMS Trincomalee, on Friday, August 16, this year, with a reception for 120 guests to follow a short walk away at Springs.
But after hearing of planned changes at the health club, Pat contacted Springs and was shocked to be told that all pre-booked events after July 15 had been cancelled, meaning Louise and Calvin’s reception function had also been scrapped with just eight weeks to go before the big day.
Pat, a civil servant from Dumfries Road, Hartlepool, said: “I just simply cannot believe that they can do this to people.
“This is supposed to be the happiest time in a mum’s life organising her daughter’s wedding, and it’s been completely spoilt.
“I feel totally gutted, depressed and furious with the whole service. It’s disgusting that they can treat customers like this.”
She added: “Calvin wanted to get married over here out of respect for Louise’s family and friends so can you imagine how embarrassed and ashamed I was having to ring them up to tell them that their chosen wedding reception venue had done this?”
Pat, who is also mum to John, 21, and is married to Derrick, said after being told the bad news she rang a list of other venues and was relieved to find a vacancy at the Sports Domes, at Seaton Carew.
But the move will mean the family has to fork out more money as the cost of the venue is more, and they will also have to provide transport for guests to get them from the Trincomalee to the Sports Domes.
Louise, a teacher, and Calvin, a banker – who have been together for about two–and–a–half years – are also having to have all of their invitations re-printed and re–sent with the new venue details.
Gordon Hall, managing director of company Lifestyle Fitness which is taking over Springs, said the cancelling of Pat’s booking was nothing to do with them, but was a matter for Springs.
Brenda Bland, group membership administration manager for Springs, said: “News of the takeover happened really quickly. We will be transferred to Lifestyle on July 1 and I know the catering side has been told to vacate by June 30.”
The Mail was still waiting to be contacted by a member of Springs senior management team at the time of going to press.
As reported in yesterday’s Mail, Lifestyle Fitness is to pump £1.5m into a refurbishment of the gym at the end of the year, while the future of the swimming, beauty and spa facilities is “open for discussion”.
The closure of the catering section was described as “very likely” and could result in job losses.