American business magazine Forbes keeps a constantly-updated list of the world’s wealthiest people and in 2016 reported a total of 1,810 billionaires worldwide, but who are the 10 richest people in the UK?
Here are the 10 richest people in the UK, according to the Forbes 2016 global rich list.
1. The Hinduja family. Four brothers control the London-based Hinduja group, which moved to Britain from Iran after the 1979 Islamic revolution.
Founded in India, it is now a vast global conglomerate dealing in financial services, oil and gas and media. The brothers have a combined fortune of 14.5 billion US dollars (£11.1 billion)
• Although topping the UK list, this only places them at 58 in the global rank of the world’s wealthiest.
2. David and Simon Reuben. Brothers and investors who own high-end property in London’s West End, including Grosvenor House, as well as hotels in New York. They are worth a combined 14.4 billion US dollars (£11.05 billion)
• Global rank 60.
3. Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor. The Duke of Westminster was a landowner and philanthropist worth 13 billion US dollars (£9.9 billion) After his death, the estate and title pass to son Hugh, who becomes the seventh Duke of Westminster.
• Global rank 68.
4. Sir Philip and Lady Green. Owners of the Arcadia group which includes Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and - until recently - British Home Stores (BHS). They are worth 5.8 billion US dollars (£4.4 billion )
• Global Rank 205.
5. James Ratcliffe. Chairman and CEO of Ineos chemical group, a leading producer of petrochemicals. After six years in Switzerland Mr Ratcliffe has said he will move the headquarters to Knightsbridge in West London. He is worth 5.5 billion US dollars (£4.2 billion)
• Global rank 233.
6. Joe Lewis. Businessman and chairman of the Tavistock group, a private investment organisation. He is the owner of Tottenham Hotspur football club, and previously held a major share in Glasgow Rangers.The investor and art collector is worth 5.3 billion US dollars (£4.06 billion)
• Global rank 248.
7. Ian and Richard Livingstone. Property developer brothers who own the group London and Regional Properties. Their portfolio includes Cliveden House in Berkshire and the Park Lane Hilton. They have a combined wealth of 5.1 billion US dollars (£3.9 billion)
• Global Rank 262.
8. Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay. The reclusive identical twins own hotels including London’s Ritz as well as the Telegraph Media Group with a combined worth of 4.9 billion US dollars (£3.76 billion)
• Global rank 286.
9. Sir Richard Branson. The high-profile owner of the Virgin brand, which is made up of different businesses covering music, television, airlines - and attempted space travel. The blond-haired billionaire is worth 4.9 billion US dollars (£3.76 billion)
• Global rank 286.
10. Laurence Graff and family. The owner of Graff Diamonds, which has its flagship store on Bond Street in West London, and has as its tagline “The most fabulous jewels in the world”. The company has clients including the Sultan of Brunei and Donald Trump.
Mr Graff previously held the world record for most expensive jewel ever bought in 2010, when he spent £29 million on a 24.7 carat pink diamond. His fortune stands at 4.6 billion US dollars (£3.5 billion)
• Global rank 317.