Caged football yobs banned for 33 years

Carl Davison
Carl Davison
Have your say

FOUR yobs have been locked up and slapped with football banning orders totalling 33 years for their part in violence before a Championship match.

Daryl Davison, 24, and father and son Gerard Thomas, 46, and Jack Thomas, 19, were involved in the trouble which saw a man attacked and beaten unconscious before Middlesbrough’s game at Sheffield United on Saturday, April 9, last year.

Daryl Davison

Daryl Davison

Daryl Davison’s cousin, Carl Davison, 20, was fighting with other people in the fracas.

The violent incident started when rival fans started throwing glasses in the beer garden outside the Roebuck Tavern, in Arundel Gate, Sheffield, at around 2.30pm.

A member of the public confronted a number of Middlesbrough supporters about their actions, and police say he suffered extensive injuries after being attacked, beaten and knocked out.

South Yorkshire Police led an investigation into the disorder, with help from Cleveland Police and North Yorkshire Police, and CCTV footage helped the forces identify the yobs responsible.

Gerard Thomas

Gerard Thomas

The four, all from Billingham, appeared before Judge Peter Kelson at Doncaster Crown Court, who handed out the football banning orders which have been described by police as the toughest they have seen.

Boro fan Carl Davison, of Burniston Drive, pleaded guilty to affray and was sentenced to six months in a young offenders’ institution.

He was also banned from attending any domestic or international football matches for six years.

Daryl Davison, of Lomand Avenue, was locked up for two years and handed a nine-year football banning order after admitting violent disorder.

Jack Thomas

Jack Thomas

Thomas junior and senior, both of Hardy Grove, were each banned from football matches for nine years and locked up for two years after pleading guilty to violent disorder.

Detective Constable Jamie Smith, of Cleveland Police’s Football Banning Unit, said: “The sentences handed out should act as a warning to anyone thinking of getting involved in football violence or disorder. Most of those sentenced had no previous convictions, yet still received custodial sentences. The joint investigation between ourselves, South Yorkshire Police and North Yorkshire Police really has been successful as these banning orders are the toughest I’ve seen. Violence at matches will not be tolerated and should anyone get involved they will be removed from the game.

“Youngsters drawn into this violent culture should think carefully about how much they love the game. A moment of gratuitous violence can result in a lengthy ban.”

Five other men were also dealt with for their part in the violence. Patrick Hebblethwaite, 19, from The Green, Northallerton, was sentenced to nine months in a young offenders’ institution after being found guilty of affray and banned from games for nine years.

Harry Gregory, 18, of College Road, York, and a 17-year-old youth from York, were both sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders’ institution after admitting violent disorder and handed a nine-year ban.

Sheffield United fan David Jones, 27, from Sheffield, was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment and given a six-year banning order after being found guilty of affray. Another man who failed to appear at court will be sentenced later. date.