Care home fire probe

FIREFIGHTERS were called after a dryer in a care home overheated and caught fire.

Officers from Hartlepool attended the incident at Wynyard Woods Grange Care home in Wynyard village on Saturday afternoon.

A large drying machine in a laundry room overheated at around 2pm.

Residents of the 50-bed home, which cares for the elderly and dementia sufferers, were moved to another room for safety until the fire was out.

The fire brigade said it was a small fire which caused smoke damage to the room.