Chip pan warning after tragic death

0
Have your say

FIRE chiefs have renewed their calls for people to ditch their old-fashioned chip pans.

The blaze sparked by unattended fat frying in the kitchen of a house in Formby Close, Hartlepool, tragically claimed the life of Craig Westhorp.

Now Cleveland Fire Brigade safety officers are urging people to not make the same mistake, saying every year more than 30 deaths can be attributed to chip pan fires nationally.

Phil Lancaster, the brigade’s director of community protection, said: “I would like to extend the heartfelt condolences from everyone in Cleveland Fire Brigade to Craig’s family at this very difficult time.

“This incident was a tragedy which could have been avoided by disposing of an old-fashioned chip pan and not leaving cooking unattended. The fire brigade has campaigned for many years for households to switch their chip pans for a healthier alternative or to at least use thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers.”

The brigade provides free home fire safety visits and will fit smoke alarms if needed. Call (01429) 874063.