Court busy with booze cases

DRINKING hotspots in town have attracted their fair share of disorder in the past six months.

Asbo yob Lee Darby laughed when magistrates told him: “If you can afford to go out drinking you can afford to pay a court fine.”

He was brought before magistrates after being arrested for boozing in the Princess Helena pub, in Whitby Street, off Church Street, which he is banned from doing under an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (Asbo).

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Email the newsdesk

Darby, of Tommy McGuigan Grove, in Hartlepool, was fined £65, with £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge, after admitting breaching his Asbo on January 29.

Kimberley McLeod, 23, was the first woman to be given a booze ban in Hartlepool after Hartlepool Police applied for an order when she appeared in court for a street assault.

The thug, of Hartside Gardens, Hartlepool, is now banned from entering the town centre at night for nine months.

The order was made alongside a six-month community order, a requirement to get help for alcohol abuse, £50 compensation and £85 costs.

In October last year, Andrew Crannage, 32, of Harwich Grove, Hartlepool, was also slapped with a booze ban preventing him from drinking alcohol in a public place or from entering any licensed premises between 6pm and 6am for six months.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard Crannage had been arrested by police for being drunk and disorderly for the third time since August.

The court heard police had been called to Church Street, where Crannage was amongst a number of people who were about to fight.

He was also fined £65, with £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

The Mail reported last month that Neil Thorpe frittered away £100 lottery winnings by downing 14 pints of snakebite, and got so drunk that he swore at officers and kicked one policeman in the knee.

The officers had been called when he began to cause problems outside Rockies Bar, in Church Street, on January 22.

The 32-year-old, of Wilson Street, Hartlepool, was fined £95, with £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after pleading guilty to being drunk and disorderly and assaulting a police officer.

Last month, 21-year-old Michaela Watt, of the town’s Arkley Crescent, was given an 18-month conditional discharge with £200 costs to pay after admitting being drunk and disorderly in Church Street and in Victoria Road.