VETERAN DJ Dave Lee Travis has said he has been though “a year and a half of hell” after being found not guilty of 12 charges of indecent assault.
Jurors at London’s Southwark Crown Court failed to reach verdicts on two other charges and were discharged, meaning there will be a further hearing to decide whether to have a retrial on them.
Speaking outside the court, Travis said the case had cost him his reputation along with so much money that he has had to sell his house.
Flanked by Marianne, his wife of more than 40 years, Travis, 68, said he did not see the verdicts as a “victory”.
He told the press outside the court: “Basically, first of all, I’m not over the moon about any of this today.
“I don’t feel like all there’s a victory in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, I think you already know that I have been through a year and a half of hell on this which included costing me so much money to pay out for my part of this trial.”
Travis, from Buckinghamshire, showed no reaction as the verdicts were read out, looking straight ahead.
The jury of eight women and four men had been deliberating for around 20 hours after a trial at which the former Top Of The Pops presenter was accused of indecently assaulting 10 women and sexually assaulting another.
There will be a further hearing at the same court on February 24 to decide if there should be a retrial of the two outstanding charges.
Travis was allowed to remain seated as the verdicts were passed and listened with the aid of headphones, as he had done during the four weeks of evidence.
His wife supported him from the public gallery as the verdicts were announced, but did not show any emotion.
She sat next to Margaret Merritt, Travis’s personal assistant in the 1970s, who gave evidence as a defence witness.