Ecstasy warning after teenager dies after taking drugs on night out

Pryzm nightclub

Pryzm nightclub

A teenager has died after taking drugs during a night out in Leeds city centre.

Police suspect the teenager, who was from Leeds and who they have yet to name, took ecstasy before being taken ill in Pryzm nightclub on Woodhouse Lane in the early hours of Tuesday.

A friend helped her outside where door staff alerted the club’s medical staff and paramedics arrived to take the woman, who was in a critical condition, to St James’s Hospital.

Despite emergency treatment, she was pronounced dead later the same morning.

Police said the initial findings of a post-mortem examination showed that the woman died as a result of hyperthermia and complications due to MDMA toxicity – the drug known as ecstasy – and in a statement said that her family are “completely devastated”.

Police said a man, aged 19, was arrested, and later bailed, on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a Class A drug.

In a statement, Det Insp Phil Jackson, of Leeds District CID, urged people to be conscious of the risks posed by illegal drugs.

He added: “This young woman’s family are completely devastated at her death in such sudden and tragic circumstances and we are doing everything we can to support them at this difficult time.

“From our enquiries so far it appears she has taken the Class A drug MDMA, also known as ecstasy, in powdered form and has been taken ill shortly afterwards in the nightclub. We are awaiting the outcome of further tests but at this stage it does appear she has died as a result of a reaction to the drug.”