POLICE say a lit firework being posted through a letterbox could have had serious consequences.
Thankfully no one was home during the incident, but the firework, a banger, exploded and blew off the back metal flap of the letterbox, which flew across the hallway and lodged itself in the door frame of the kitchen.
The incident happened between 6pm and 8.45pm on Friday at a house in Dunelm Walk, Peterlee.
PC David Thompson, of Peterlee Police, said: “There was no fire caused however a new letterbox was required.
“No-one was on the premises at the time, but this could quite easily have had a different outcome.”
Anyone with information about the incident should call PC Thompson on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.