Former boxing champ Michael Hunter admits attacking ex-wife

Michael Hunter, who has admitted attacking his former wife.
Michael Hunter, who has admitted attacking his former wife.

A former boxing champ has admitted attacking his ex-wife.

Former British and European super bantamweight title-holder Michael Hunter had been due to stand trial at Teesside Crown Court, but entered guilty pleas to three charges relating to his former partner Joanne.

Being released by this court after your guilty please must not be taken by you as being an indication of the sentence that will be passed.

Judge Peter Armstrong

The 37-year-old, from Eskdale Road in Hartlepool, admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on February 6, 2010, and putting a person in fear of violence by harassment between August and September last year, by sending texts and phone calls.

He also pleaded guilty to breaching a non-molestation order on April 16 this year against Joanne Brackstone, formerly Hunter.

The court heard the prosecution would not pursue two other charges, a claim of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and assault by beating.

Emma Atkinson, prosecuting, and Mark Styles, mitigating, said they agreed on the case put to the court.

Hunter was given conditional bail until the sentencing hearing, which will take place on Tuesday, July 28.

Conditions include not to contact Ms Brackstone directly or indirectly, except though a solicitor.

Ahead of the next hearing, a report will be prepared for the court by the Probation Service.

Judge Peter Armstrong told Hunter: “Being released by this court after your guilty pleas must not be taken by you as being an indication of the sentence that will be passed.

“I do not know what that will be, but I will simply say all options are open to the court that will deal with this.”

During his boxing career, Hunter was beaten just twice in 33 appearances. He won eight of his 10 major title contests. Hunter retired from the sport in 2012 after making a final comeback from a previous retirement.