Jeremy Clarkson will face no police action after attack on Top Gear producer

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson
0
Have your say

SACKED Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson will face no further police action over his attack on a producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today.

The force said it had “completed its routine inquiries” in to the incident and would “not be pursuing this matter any further”.

It said: “Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action.”

mfl

Page 2: 11:28

Oisin Tymon, the producer attacked by Clarkson, said last week that he did not want to press charges against his former colleague.

Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.

Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10 before it announced his contract would not be renewed.

The star received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - in the aftermath of the fracas while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.

But director-general Tony Hall said ‘’a line has been crossed’’ and that ‘’there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another’’.