DCSIMG

Man charged with witness intimidation after Mark Denton murder is denied bail

Mark Denton

Mark Denton

A HARTLEPOOL man has appeared in court charged with intimidating witnesses in connection with the Mark Denton murder trial.

Harry Brogden, 40, denied two counts of intimidating witnesses when he appeared at Teesside Crown Court yesterday.

Brogden, of Ambleton Road, Hartlepool, had his application for bail rejected by Judge Michael Taylor.

Judge Taylor said: “It may or may not be a coincidence that he has been in contact with two people in a murder inquiry but I am refusing the application at this stage.”

Brogden will next appear at Teesside Crown Court on Thursday, March 20.

Former town boxer Mark was brutally killed at a house party in Hutton Avenue, Hartlepool, on New Year’s Eve.

Two Hartlepool men, David Sowerby and Anthony Middleton, have been charged with his murder and currently remain in custody ahead of the next court date in April.

Mark’s devastated parents Brian and Ann paid tribute to their “loveable son” after his tragic death.

Brian, 64, and Ann, 69, who live in Granville Avenue, Hartlepool, told how Mark loved a good laugh and enjoyed partying and going on holidays but also revealed his dedication to training, particularly throughout his boxing career.

The former Jesmond Road Primary School pupil and High Tunstall student was also a black belt in karate and a talented artist.

Mark, who was just 31 when he was killed, also left behind his older brother Craig, 32, and girlfriend, Sarah Kinnie, as well as many close friends.

More than 900 people turned out for Mark’s funeral at the Borough Hall, on the Headland, last month - thought to be the first funeral ever to be held at the historic venue.

The kind mourners raised £700 in collections at the funeral which was all donated to Hartlepool RNLI, as reported in the Mail earlier this week.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page