Mum-to-be loses baby after attack

Belinda Wray
Belinda Wray
0
Have your say

A PREGNANT woman who was beaten up in her own home suffered a heart-breaking miscarriage just two days after being attacked.

Belinda Wray blames the tragic loss of her unborn baby on a violent assault that left her with bruising and swelling to her neck and face.

The 25-year-old, who is registered disabled, said she was pushed over, punched several times in the head and strangled by someone who she thought was a friend.

Belinda, who suffers with slipped discs in her spine, epileptic fits and panic attacks, had only just found out she was pregnant days earlier.

Belinda said: “I lost my baby.

“The way I was pushed and strangled, it can’t have been good for the baby. I think that’s to blame.

“I was so scared and frightened. It’s been a nightmare.”

She said she has been staying at friends’ houses because she “can’t face” going back to her home in the Oxford Road area of Hartlepool and re-living her ordeal.

She added: “I can’t even live in my own home, I’m too terrified about what’s happened.

“I’ve never had anything like this happen to me in my life. It’s left me shaken and scared.”

Belinda said the assault started at 8.45am on Tuesday, September 20, but there had been problems the night before.

She said a row had broken out after she told a man in her house to be quiet.

Belinda claimed: “He snapped and pushed me in my kitchen and strangled me.

“I couldn’t breath at one point, and I was panicking.

“It was a blur. I was punched in the face three times and didn’t know what to do.

“I’m disabled and couldn’t do anything about it. It’s really damaged my confidence.”

Belinda was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, to be checked over and was released the same day.

But two days later, she went through a miscarriage and was left “heartbroken”.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that we received a report of an assault on September 20.

“The victim was taken to A&E and inquiries were made into the matter and an arrest has been made.”

A 50-year-old Hartlepool man has been arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm in connection with the incident and bailed pending further inquiries.