DCSIMG

Sergeant major was electrocuted after touching faulty lamp in Kenyan hotel room

John Marley died as a result of a freak hotel accident

John Marley died as a result of a freak hotel accident

A SERGEANT Major was electrocuted after he touched a faulty lamp in a hotel room in Kenya.

Sgt Mjr John ‘Bob’ Marley might have survived had he received better treatment from Kenyan medics, an inquest heard

Sgt Mjr Marley, 42, from Cotsford Park in Horden, was serving with the British Army Training Unit in Kenya when he died on April 26 last year.

The inquest at the Coroner’s Court in Crook was told he and two colleagues took a long weekend of leave in Mombasa.

Staff Sergeant Steve Gillian said they shared a large hotel room and were preparing to go out for the evening when the accident happened.

“I was in the bathroom when I heard Bob scream,” said Sgt Gillian.

“I rushed back into the room and saw Bob on top of the lamp.

“At first I thought he had been impaled on it.

“He was in a bad way, but breathing, so me and my colleague commenced CPR.”

Colour Sergeant Chris Woods told the hearing he received an electric shock from Sgt Mjr Marley when he tried to move him.

Sgt Woods rushed to the hotel reception to ask them to call an ambulance, but due to language problems, the receptionist called a taxi.

Another officer who was present found a number for an ambulance on the internet.

Sgt Mjr Marley was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Sgt Woods, who went with him in the ambulance, told the hearing: “They just put an oxygen mask on Bob, they didn’t try to shock him which is what I was expecting.

“I told them they needed to get some air inside him, but the same thing happened at the hospital.

“Had he received the treatment I like to think he would have received in the UK, I believe he may have survived.”

The inquest heard the lamp switch was found to have exposed live wires, and the wall socket switch did not work.

A post mortem examination found electric current burns on one of Sgt Mjr Marley’s fingers.

Deputy Durham Coroner Crispin Oliver, recording a verdict of accidental death, said the incident was both tragic and poignant.

“It was also very unlucky,” the coroner added.

“I cannot comment on the treatment Bob received from the Kenyan medical people.

“But there is no doubt his comrades did everything they possibly could to save him.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page