Stabbed after X-box quarrel

Durham Crown Court
Durham Crown Court

A 20-YEAR-OLD man stabbed his stepfather in an argument over a games console.

Cameron Hall flew into a rage when John Marsey walked into his bedroom, Durham Crown Court heard.

“There had been arguments earlier over an X-Box console and other family matters,” said Tony Cornberg, prosecuting.

“When Mr Marsey entered the bedroom he saw Hall lying on the bed holding a Swiss army knife.

“Hall jumped up and shouted to Mr Marsey he was going to kill him.

“There was a struggle during which the knife was brought down on Mr Marsey’s leg.

“Hall also made slashing motions at his face.”

The court heard Mr Marsey was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital where he was treated for the 15mm deep wound.

Hall, 20, of Cotsford Park Estate, Horden, admitted unlawful wounding on February 8.

He appeared for sentencing via a video link from his cell in Doncaster prison.

In a victim impact statement Mr Marsey, described in court as only a few years older than Hall, said there had been many issues with Hall’s behaviour and he had done his best for him in the six years he had been living with Hall’s mother.

“I feel all that has been thrown back into my face,” Mr Marsey added.

Matthew Collins, for Hall, said his client had served more than five months in prison on remand.

“He has no previous convictions for violence and has shown genuine remorse for this offence,” added Mr Collins.

Judge Christopher Prince sentenced Hall to a two-year supervision order.

The judge told him: “If I passed a prison sentence you would be released from it in a matter of weeks.

“This sentence means you will be released immediately, but you will be supervised for a much longer period which will better protect the public.

“If you breach any of the terms of the order, you will come back before me and you should expect to go back to custody.”

Hall was made the subject of a restraining order banning him indefinitely from contacting his victim.