Dirty homes are sparking blazes, warn fire chiefs

Fire
Fire

BUSY lifestyles are being blamed for an increase in “grime fires” caused by a build-up of dirt in kitchens.

County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service has joined forces with the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) to warn about the dangers of grime fires.

Figures released during Electrical Fire Safety Week reveal four million people have had such a fire in their kitchen.

Grime fires are the result of dirty and messy kitchens and the ignition of excess fat in cooking appliances, clutter stored by heat sources catching fire, or by dirt, dust and crumbs blocking ventilation and causing products to overheat.

Andrew Allison from the fire and rescue service, said: “It can be hard to stay on top of household chores with busy work and life schedules.

“However, we are regularly called to fires in the home that start in the kitchen, so I would strongly urge everyone to be vigilant to the hidden dangers of dirt and grime.”