Don’t let Christmas celebrations go up in smoke, fire brigade urge Hartlepool residents

Overloading plug sockets could prove costly, the fire brigade has warned.

Overloading plug sockets could prove costly, the fire brigade has warned.

1
Have your say

People in Hartlepool have been urged to ensure their festive celebrations don’t go up in flames this Christmas.

Cleveland Fire Brigade have warned residents that charging presents like smartphones, tablets, laptops and other electrical items by overloading plug sockets could prove costly.

It is a potential fire hazard, and could see festivities go up in smoke.

Phil Lancaster, director of community protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “It is probably very tempting to get your new electrical gifts plugged in and fully charged as soon as possible.

“Just remember to keep to one plug per socket and not to leave them charging overnight.

“It is sobering to note that one-third of all accidental house fires are caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment.

“Just be sensible, enjoy the latest technology, but take care. We don’t want your festive celebrations to end up in flames.”