TIME has finally caught up with the former District of Easington council’s home.
The council held its meetings at the offices, in Easington Colliery, for more than 80 years.
But the building’s days have been numbered since 2009, when the decision was taken to create a new unitary authority to cover the whole of County Durham, with most of Easington’s staff moved into new offices in Seaham.
The Seaside Lane site was put up for sale by the newly-created Durham County Council and now the bulldozers have moved in as work gets under way to flatten the buildings.
Yet not all of its history has been lost, as the bricks and mortar may be going but the council chamber’s fixtures and fittings have been put into storage at Beamish Museum after measurements were taken with the hope of recreating the room.
The building was originally opened in 1903 on the site of Easington Poor Law Union’s workhouse, which offered refuge for those unable to support themselves.