Dozens of residents moved out after Hartlepool homes forced to close

Parkview residential home, Station Lane, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID
Parkview residential home, Station Lane, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID
5
Have your say

A total of 34 care home residents have been moved out after two Hartlepool homes were forced to close last week.

Four Winds Residential Home, in Park Drive, and Parkview Residential Home, at Seaton Carew, officially closed on Friday after proprietor Matt Matharu had his registration as a provider cancelled by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Highnam Hall. Picture by FRANK REID

Highnam Hall. Picture by FRANK REID

A third home run by Mr Matharu, Highnam Hall in Park Avenue, had already closed in October last year after it was placed under special measures by the CQC and 30 residents had to be found alternative accommodation.

All three homes had been rated inadequate, the lowest standard possible, by the CQC.

An update on the care home closures was given at a meeting of the council’s Adult Services Committee.

Jill Harrison, assistant director of adult services, said: “We have worked with those residents and their families over the last couple of weeks and all residents have moved to alternative accommodation that can meet their needs and have remained in Hartlepool.

All residents have moved to alternative accommodation that can meet their needs and have remained in Hartlepool

Jill Harrison, Hartlepool Borough Council

“There are no homes operating in Hartlepool that are inadequate.”

Availability in town had been helped after blocks on new admissions at Manor Park and Warrior Park homes were lifted.

Ms Harrison added: “It has had a positive impact in terms of available beds but they are going through a phased approach and are only accepting one or two new admissions a week at the moment and gradually build back up.”

And she said the council was in talks with providers interested in developing care provision in the town.

Matt Matharu at Teesside Crown Court ''17 November 2014

Matt Matharu at Teesside Crown Court ''17 November 2014

The Mail has previously reported how pressure on residential and nursing beds in Hartlepool was causing substantial hospital bed blocking.

Ms Harrison said since November council social workers have been working seven days a week to help address the problem.

The council is looking at ways it can bring residential care back under its control after concerns about some private providers.

But Jeanette Willis, the council’s head of strategic commissioning, said the recent problems had taken the focus away from homes that were operating well.

Four Winds Residential Home, Elwick Road, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

Four Winds Residential Home, Elwick Road, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

“There are lots of homes in Hartlepool and hundreds and hundreds of people are living very happily and getting really good care,” she said.