Elderly woman dies in Peterlee bedroom blaze

TRAGIC SCENE: Police tape outside the scene of the fatal blaze
TRAGIC SCENE: Police tape outside the scene of the fatal blaze
0
Have your say

AN elderly woman died after a blaze at a bungalow in the early hours of this morning.

Three fire crews were called to a bungalow in Langdale Place, Peterlee, around 1am on Friday following to a report of a bungalow on fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the body of an 83-year-old woman in a heavily smoke-logged bedroom.

Colin Bage, head of operations delivery at County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This tragic loss of life is deeply saddening and our thoughts are with the person’s family and friends.”

While the cause of the blaze has still to be confirmed, Mr Bage said: “At a time like this we are reminding people of the dangers of fire and I appeal to everyone to make sure they have a working smoke alarm fitted in their home.”

He continued: “If you have elderly relatives or neighbours please visit them now and check their smoke alarm.

“If you have any concerns please contact us and we will carry out a home fire safety visit.”

Any further updates will appear on this website today.