A WASTE management firm is appealing to planning chiefs for more time to complete landfill tipping and restore its site.
G O’Brien and Sons, in Seaton Carew, is applying to Hartlepool Borough Council for a one-year extension to operations on the site, off Coronation Drive.
The site was due to be cleared and fully restored by last Monday under the terms of its original planning permission granted five years ago.
But the operators say they lost valuable time last year because of changes to the law, which meant they had to suddenly stop work.
They have now lodged an application with the council to extend the life of the site until February 17 next year to be able to complete the restoration.
Residents living in the shadow of the landfill site, on the Warrior Park estate, have been written to about the application so they can comment on the bid.
Agents for G O’Brien say work had to stop in the middle of last year because of changes to permit legislation.
After talks with the Environment Agency, the site was allowed to carry on tipping of construction waste for another six months.
But O’Brien say they will also need a further six months to carry out landscaping and fully restore the site.
Paperwork by O’Brien agents, R & K Wood Planning, said: “G O’Brien and Sons Ltd would have completed the tipping at the site at the end of last year had there not been the change to the permitting legislation by the Environment Agency.
“The restoration of the site can only be beneficial to the surrounding area and local residents.”
The application relates to the northern part of the site.
The firm says the southern half of the site has been restored to approved levels with the creation of a recreation pitch and seeding.
Restoration of the remaining part will include planting hedgerow and the creation of a car park and footpath.
A council spokesman said public consultations are on-going and the issue would be decided by its planning committee on a date to be announced.