Fair ride electric shock for girl

0
Have your say

A SCHOOLGIRL collapsed when she suffered an electric shock at a fairground.

The 14-year-old Hartlepool girl suffered blistering and swelling to her hand and also a mark to her stomach where the electricity is thought to have entered and exited her body.

The girl, who does not wish to be identified, had gone to the fun fair near to West Hartlepool Rugby Club, off Catcote Road, Hartlepool, and was standing at the kiosk of the Remix ride waiting to pay when she suddenly collapsed.

Police say she fell unconscious for a short time but came to when paramedics arrived around 4.20pm on Saturday.

She was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, in a stable condition and was released on Sunday night.

Pc Dave Halliday said: “She got the shock as she was up at the kiosk to pay for the ride.

“The top of the kiosk was plastic with an aluminium front and a metal strip. She must have been touching that when she got the shock. She came round when the ambulance arrived.

“Ambulance paramedics confirmed that her injuries were due to electricity.”

He added: “She suffered some blistering and swelling to her hand and a mark on her abdomen where we think the electricity has exited her body.”

The ride was closed following the incident until police officers and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) could carry out an investigation.

A HSE spokeswoman said: “The HSE is aware and is making preliminary inquiries.”