Fire at kids’ home

editorial image

A CHILDREN’S home had to be evacuated after a dishwasher set alight.

Two crews from the town’s Stranton Fire Station rushed to Exmoor Grove Children’s Home, which is in the Throston Grange area of Hartlepool, after a fire broke out in the kitchen appliance.

A spokesman at the station said seven people, including staff members, had to be evacuated from the building following the incident.

The spokesman added that the fire was out on arrival as an employee from the children’s home had managed to douse the flames with dry powder.

Fire crews spent 45 minutes at the scene checking that the fire had fully gone out and using a fan to ventilate the room of “acrid” smoke.

The spokesman added that the top part of the dishwasher, where the dials are, was destroyed and that there was a small amount of fire damage to the kitchen.

The incident happened around 8.45pm on Saturday.