PEOPLE are being urged to stay safe as Bonfire Night approaches.
Fire chiefs say every year people are injured and property is damaged due to the misuse of fireworks and bonfires being illegally set.
They say the most common injuries are to children under the age of 15 and are caused by sparklers that can burn up to 1,000 degrees C.
Officers say the safest way to enjoy Bonfire Night is attending an organised display rather than have one at home.
But, if people decide to buy fireworks, they should always follow the firework code, which states:
l Keep fireworks in a closed box;
l Follow the instructions on each firework;
l Light all fireworks at arms length;
l Stand well back;
l Never go back to a lit firework;
l Never put fireworks in your pocket;
l Never throw fireworks;
l Keep pets indoors;
l Only buy fireworks which comply with British Standard (B7114).
Lol Craven, arson task force manager with Cleveland Fire Brigade, said: “Every year, over half the injuries that occur are to children under the age of 15. The most common injuries are to the hand, wrists and eyes and most of these are caused by sparklers which is not surprising when they burn over 1,000C.
“I would urge parents to never leave their children unattended and to follow our safety tips below:
l Never give sparklers to children under five years of age;
l Always supervise children with sparklers;
l Teach them how to hold the sparkler at arms length, but not near anyone else;
l Keep a container of water handy, big enough and deep enough to put a spent sparkler in and put the sparkler in it as soon as it goes out.
“We want everyone to enjoy their bonfire night so please heed our advice and stay safe.”
People can fire out more information about bonfire and firework safety at www.clevelandfire.gov.uk/bonfire, or follow the fire brigade on Twitter or Facebook (clevelandfb).