Fire destroys roof of Hartlepool house

breaking news
breaking news

A WOMAN and a child had a lucky escape after the roof of the Hartlepool house they were in caught fire.

It happened in Wilton Avenue in the town at about 3.30pm on Wednesday.

An electrical fault caused the blaze in which the loft of the property was completely destroyed by fire, smoke and heat.

The third floor of the property was also damaged by smoke and water.

Two crews from Hartlepool Stranton Station rushed to the scene, where four officers wearing breathing apparatus using two hose reels got the fire under control.

A woman and a child who were inside the house had been escaped after being alerted to the fire by a neighbour.

Neither of them were injured.