Fire fighters tackle allotment blaze

A Northumberland Fire engine at the scene of a heather fire near Rothbury
A Northumberland Fire engine at the scene of a heather fire near Rothbury

AN UNATTENDED stove sparked a blaze at a Hartlepool allotment plot.

Two crews from the town’s Stranton Fire Station were called to the Chester Road Allotment at 2.49pm today.

A shed and an adjacent greenhouse both caught fire during the incident.

Fire fighters put out both blazes and ensured they did not spread to other allotment plots.

A fire service spokeman said: “Both the shed and the greenhouse were 50 per cent damaged.

“It was an accidental fire caused by a camping style stove being left unattended.

“It is a reminder that it can only take a few minutes for a fire to take hold.”