Flinders to the rescue

Paddy Howlett with Hartlepool United keeper Scott Flinders
Paddy Howlett with Hartlepool United keeper Scott Flinders
Have your say

QUICK-THINKING Hartlepool United goalkeeper Scott Flinders came to the rescue after a teenager collapsed in the stands after suffering an epileptic fit.

Paddy Howlett was stood towards the back of the Town End stand at Victoria Park – ahead of Saturday’s League Two clash between Pools and Wycombe Wanderers – when he collapsed and banged his head on a barrier.

Thankfully Scott, who was warming up alongside his team mates, was on the ball and spotted the commotion and shouted for help from the club physio Ian Gallagher, known as Buster, and club doctor Dave Russell.

Paddy, 19, from Marlowe Road in the Rift House area, has thanked Hartlepool’s number one for his efforts in raising the alarm.

The season ticket holder said: “I am so grateful to Scott for helping to raise the alarm.

“His quick-thinking in getting help was great and I’d like to thank everyone involved.

“I can’t really remember too much about it as I went blank after I had the fit and banged my head, but my friend told me what happened.”

Paddy, who was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2011, travelled to the club’s training ground at Maiden Castle, in Durham City, to meet up with Scott and to thank him personally.

Unemployed Paddy also thanked his friend Connor Jackson, 17, for helping to hold his head after he had the epileptic fit so he wasn’t banging his head off the floor.

He said he hadn’t suffered a fit for a while but hadn’t slept much the night before and thought that may have helped cause it.

The teenager collapsed at around 2.30pm, while Scott and his team mates were warming up at Victoria Park.

Paddy was sent home to rest after medical treatment from the paramedics and St John Ambulance members so missed the match, which Pools ended up losing 2-1 to leave them without a League win after six matches.

The Pools keeper said he is pleased Paddy is now ok and is looking forward to seeing him back at Victoria Park.

Scott said: “As we were warming up I just heard a few shouts from the crowd and I turned round to see what was happening and saw that someone was on the ground having a fit.

“I quickly went and shouted for Buster and the Doc to come over and tend to the lad.

“They got there pretty quickly to give him some treatment and the paramedics were across with him too.

“I saw him a little while after back on his feet and walking about so I was glad he recovered quickly and got the treatment he needed.

“I’d like to wish him all the best and hope to see him back at The Vic as soon as possible.”