A LANDSCAPE gardener killed himself by eating poisonous bark from a tree.
Mark Boyle was found dead in the car park at Hawthorn Services, near Easington, after learning about the effects of eating certain types of bark on a course at East Durham College’s Houghall campus.
The 27-year-old musician’s van was discovered parked nearby in the early hours of December 15, an inquest at Chester-le-Street Magistrates’ Court was told.
Durham Coroner Andrew Tweddle said he had not come across a such a case in more than 20 years in the role.
Mr Tweddle ruled that Mr Boyle, of Sunderland, took his own life.