Hartlepool books of condolence opened for Manchester bombing tragedy victims

Mayor of Hartlepool Rob Cook signs a book of condolence for the Manchester bombing victims.
Mayor of Hartlepool Rob Cook signs a book of condolence for the Manchester bombing victims.

Hartlepool Borough Council has opened books of condolence so that the town can pay tribute to those killed in the Manchester bombing tragedy.

A total of 22 people were killed, including an eight-year-old girl, when suicide bomber Salman Abedi blew himself up after a pop concert on Monday night.

Staff at Hartlepool Civic Centre observe a minute's silence for the Manchester bombing tragedy victims.

Staff at Hartlepool Civic Centre observe a minute's silence for the Manchester bombing tragedy victims.

The victims include Hartlepool mum Jane Tweddell, 51, who had been living in Blackpool at the time of her death,

The former Dyke House School pupil had gone to the arena with her friend to pick up her friend’s daughter at the end of the Ariana Grande concert.

Dozens more people have been left injured and are currently in hospital as they recover.

Mayor of Hartlepool Rob Cook was among the first to sign a book of condolence at the town’s Civic Centre, while another has been opened at the reception of Headland Sports Hall.

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

Workers at the Civic Centre also took part in the nationwide minute’s silence in tribute to the bombing victims.

Coun Cook said: “We encouraged staff, councillors and members of the public to observe the minute’s silence at 11am today in remembrance of those who lost their lives and all others who have been affected by the appalling attack in Manchester on Monday.

“We have also opened up two books of condolences to enable people to reflect on this terrible tragedy.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone affected by this despicable act of terror on innocent people.”

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

Middleton Grange shopping centre fell silent to join in with a national minute’s silence for the bombing victims at 11am.

The venue had carried out a minute’s silence on Wednesday before it was announced there would be a country-wide tribute on Thursday.

Mark Rycraft, Middleton Grange shopping centre manager, said: “We held a minute’s silence on Wednesday before it was announced that there would be a national event, but obviously we wanted to join in with that too.

“It gave our customers the chance to observe a minute’s silence and pay tribute to those affected.

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

“I was in the control room at the time and you could see that the whole shopping centre was still.

“It was a very touching moment, the same as it was for the earlier period of silence on Wednesday.

“We want to thank all of our retailers and customers for observing the minute’s silence.

“Our thoughts are with the victims of this tragedy.”

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID

A minute's silence being observed in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, Hartlepool. Picture by FRANK REID