Hartlepool Borough Council chief to retire

Paul Walker
Paul Walker

HARTLEPOOL Borough Council chief executive Paul Walker has handed in his notice.

He submitted his letter of retirement to Mayor Stuart Drummond and is set to leave the local authority on August 31.

Mr Walker, who has been the council’s chief executive for eight years, was earlier this year embroiled in controversy over the Mayor and Cabinet’s approval of his £10,795 pay hike which took his salary to £168,000.

There has been much speculation over a pending decision by Mr Walker, 59, to resign but he said the backlash from the pay-rise row had not influenced his decision to leave his role and had long-term plans to retire around his 60th birthday in August.

Mr Walker handed his formal three-month notice of retirement to Mayor Drummond during a 30-minute meeting between the two men at Hartlepool Civic Centre yesterday afternoon.

The meeting, which had been scheduled to discuss other business, was held in the Mayor’s office.

Mr Drummond said Mr Walker “would be missed” but that “life moves on and the council moves on.”