Billingham butcher shop closes voluntarily as investigation into E.coli infection continues

Robinson's butchers in Billingham. Copyright Google Maps.

Robinson's butchers in Billingham. Copyright Google Maps.

0
Have your say

A business has voluntarily shut while a new case of E.coli infection who may have eaten ready-to-eat products is investigated.

The new report was made to health officials yesterday after it was said the person may have eaten goods from Robinson’s butchers in Billingham last week.

Robinson’s butcher agreed to voluntarily close their Billingham shop last night as a precautionary measure while we investigate the latest case.

Dr Deb Wilson

As a precaution people are advised again not to eat any ready-to-eat products they have bought from the business and to throw out any they may still have in their fridge or freezer at home.

This advice only applies to Robinson’s butchers in Billingham.

Robinson’s Wingate shop remains open as no cases have been associated with the premises since control measures were introduced on Wednesday, July 15.

It is not necessary to throw out products bought from Robinson’s butchers in Wingate.

The latest case brings the total number of people affected by the outbreak to 15.

A previous case reported in a statement on Friday has since tested negative.

Of these cases, two children and two adults remain in hospital.

Two other children previously in hospital have been discharged and are recovering at home.

Health protection experts from Public Health England and environmental health teams from both County Durham and Stockton councils are continuing to investigate all possible sources of the outbreak.

Consultant in health protection and chair of the outbreak control team Dr Deb Wilson said: “Although the exact source of this outbreak is yet to be confirmed, many of the affected people are known to have eaten cooked meat products bought or supplied by Robinson’s butcher shops in either Wingate or Billingham before 15 July.

“As a precautionary measure we advised anyone who had bought ready-to eat food from Robinson’s butchers in Wingate or Billingham between 25 June and 15 July, not to eat it and throw it out.

“Until yesterday, no new cases who had eaten ready-to-eat products from either shop had been identified since control measures were introduced at both shops on 15 July.

“Concerns were raised yesterday when a suspected case was reported who may have eaten ready-to-eat food bought at the Billingham shop last week, after control measures were introduced.

“Robinson’s butcher agreed to voluntarily close their Billingham shop last night as a precautionary measure while we investigate the latest case.

“Similarly, the advice to throw out any ready-to-eat food bought from Robinson’s in Billingham is a precaution while we investigate the latest case.

“Anyone who has eaten ready-to-eat food from the Billingham shop recently and who has diarrhoea should contact their GP in the usual way.”