Liquid tablets warning after increase in admissions of children who have bitten them

Caroline Gough with her daughter Georgie
Caroline Gough with her daughter Georgie
0
Have your say

PARENTS are being urged to be extra-vigilant after an increase in hospital admissions of young children who have bitten or burst detergent capsules.

Bosses at the A&E department at Hartlepool and North Tees NHS Foundation Trust say parents frequently bring youngsters in to hospital for treatment after accidents involving brightly coloured squeezable capsules.

Health chiefs are urging parents to keep them out of the way of children.

It comes after Caroline Gough’s 16-month-old daughter Georgie was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, after getting hold of a supermarket own-brand liquid tablets and it bursting in her eyes.

Little Georgie had been helping her mum, a 40-year-old teacher, load the washing machine.

But when Caroline, from the Hart Lane area of Hartlepool, turned her back briefly to switch on the machine, the next thing she saw was Georgie covered in blue liquid and screaming.

Georgie was given Calpol and Ibuprofen at hospital and her eyes were checked.

She was left with bloodshot eyes for three days afterwards.

Caroline said: “I know I may be leaving myself open to criticism, but I would like to think we could stop this happening to another little one as it happened so fast.”

A trust spokeswoman said: “Liquitabs are very appealing to young children because they are colourful, soft and squidgy just like a sweet.

“If a young child bites into them and swallows any of the substance they may get a sore tummy and bit of diarrhoea, but they are non-toxic and they will not do the child any lasting harm.

“Any liquid in the eye can be simply washed out with clean water.

“However to be on the safe side we’d advise parents to keep them out of the way of children, perhaps on a high shelf well out of reach of a child who could be tempted to touch or play with them.”