House chimney fire

FIREFIGHTERS put out a chimney fire in a Hartlepool street.

Crews from Hartlepool’s Stranton Station and a hydraulic platform from Durham and Darlington fire service were called to the house in South Parade in the Belle Vue area of town yesterday lunchtime.

Emergency services were alerted to the incident at around 1pm.

An ambulance also attended the street but nobody was hurt.

Crews used water to extinguish the blaze from above and the ground.

Luckily, no damage was caused to the property or chimney from the fire.

The fire was fully out by 2.48pm and crews left the scene just after 3pm.

A fire brigade spokesman said the cause was accidental due to a blockage in the chimney.

Properties with real fires are advised to clean their chimneys regularly and not to burn paper or rubbish.