Housing plans under discussion

0
Have your say

PLANS to build 17 new houses on the site of a former care home are set to go before councillors later this week.

Ben Bailey Homes has submitted an application to Hartlepool Council to build the mix of three and four bedroom houses on council-owned land in Monmouth Grove, in the Throston Grange area of town.

The houses would be built within a cul-de-sac on the site of the former Throston Grange Court care home.

Developers have included gardens, landscaping, off-street parking and a garage for every house in their plans.

Councillors sitting on the local authority’s planning committee are set to meet this Friday to discuss the plans and further details about the cost and time scale are expected to be announced.

A council report said: “The application site is a brownfield site having previously been used as a nursing home, of which the buildings have been demolished leaving a cleared site.”

Ahead of the meeting there has been one letter of objection from a resident, who has raised concerns about the proposed six-foot high fence that would surround the site.

Council policy dictates that 10 per cent of the development, in this case two houses, must be for affordable housing.

Despite this, planning officers say Ben Bailey Homes is also willing to build five affordable houses at a site in Clavering Road.

It is proposed that the two sites be tied together through a legal agreement and the affordable houses would be built before work starts on the Monmouth Grove site.

The report added: “As part of the terms of sale, Ben Bailey Homes are willing to enter into a legal obligation to build five affordable housing units on behalf of Endeavour Housing Association on land to the rear of St. Mark’s Church and Community Centre, in Clavering Road, a site which is also owned by Hartlepool Borough Council.”

The planning applications come days after Hartlepool Mayor Stuart Drummond gave his backing to a target of building 5,400 new houses in town over the next 15 years as part of a major planning blueprint.

The figure is 1,400 houses down on previous targets and Mayor Drummond said the figure is more “realistic” for the council.

Once planned demolitions are taken into account, the net number of new houses in Hartlepool would be 4,800, with an average of 320 houses being built by developers a year.

Mayor Drummond backed the plans as part of ongoing work into the core strategy, which will lay down the main planning framework for the borough for the next 15 years.

The council’s planning committee is due to meet on Friday at the Civic Centre, in Victoria Road, at 10am.