In hospital after fire

0
Have your say

A MAN was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation following a chip pan fire.

The middle-aged man, who was in the house with his partner, was rushed to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, following a kitchen blaze at a house in Dunlin Road, in the Throston Grange area of Hartlepool.

A spokesman from Stranton Fire Station, which sent a crew along with another from the Headland, said: “The couple managed to save themselves but there could have been a fatality.”

Fire chiefs say the couple had gone to bed and the chip pan had been left unattended.

They managed to get out of the house after putting a towel over the pan.

But the kitchen was severely damaged by the flames and the rest of the house suffered smoke damage following the incident, which happened around 3am yesterday.

Hartlepool’s fire service resources were stretched as two crews from Stranton also tackled a derelict pub blaze in Middlesbrough around the same time of the incident in Dunlin Road.