Just the ticket for the all-new hospice lottery

Hospice lottery manager Veronica Nelson ( left) and Denise Shepherd, the hospice's inpatient unit sister, show off the new prize structure which includes more chances to win
Hospice lottery manager Veronica Nelson ( left) and Denise Shepherd, the hospice's inpatient unit sister, show off the new prize structure which includes more chances to win

HOSPICE chiefs have revealed changes for their lottery.

The Hartlepool & District Hospice lottery will offer more chances to win from April.

 Officials say they greatly value feedback from their members. And it is because of that advice from the members that they are following some of it and have revised the hospice lottery prize structure.

 Bosses say this is to provide more chances for people to win a prize. There will no longer be an annual £4,000 prize draw. Instead, it will be replaced with a new rollover prize. The hospice will also be increasing the number of weekly prizes from six to 26.

 That is a move from six weekly prizes and one annual draw, to the new structure of 26 weekly prizes plus the chance to win a rollover.

 Over the years, the hospice lottery has generated more than £7m which has helped to fund vital services.

 These services include inpatient care, a day hospice, complementary therapy and a community bereavement service. Hospice lottery manager Veronica Nelson explained why the lottery was so important.

 “Although the hospice’s services are free to patients they are not free to provide. The hospice receives funding from the NHS which is equal to 21 per cent of the funds required. The remaining 79 per cent is generated through support from the local community, businesses and the hospice lottery.

 “The hospice lottery has already raised over £7m since it began. On behalf of our patients, their families and the hospice staff, I would like to thank all our lottery members for their support.”

 The hospice has a lottery stand at Tesco Extra and the University Hospital of Hartlepool.

 Hartlepool & District Hospice is based in Wells Avenue, and is a registered charity offering specialist palliative care to hundreds of adults from Hartlepool and East Durham each year.

 Those who access hospice services can be living with illnesses including cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, Motor Neurone Disease, end stage heart disease and Parkinson’s.

 Anyone interested in becoming a hospice lottery member, or interested in buying additional tickets for the new prize structure should contact the lottery office on (01429) 855582 or (01429) 855587 before the first draw which takes place on Friday, April 5.