THE disappearance of a Hartlepool toddler who vanished more than three decades ago is to be reconstructed and beamed to millions of people on the continent.
Producers of a German television programme called XYZ, hailed as the country’s version of Crimewatch, will travel to England next month to speak to the family of Katrice Lee, who disappeared from a NAAFI store in Paderborn, Germany, on her second birthday, November 28, 1981.
The news comes after the case of Donna Wright, 33, who is charged with harassing Katrice’s mum Sharon and sister Natasha, was adjourned for the third time.
Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court heard that Wright, of Hillside Court, Spennymoor, is not deemed well enough to attend court.
She is accused of using Facebook to harass Sharon and Natasha, who now live in Gosport, Hampshire, over almost a year.
Wright is charged with one count of harassment without violence and is accused of sending “numerous emails and Facebook postings to the victims” between December 2011 and November 24 last year.
District Judge Martin Walker adjourned the “high profile case with a great deal of public interest” until February 27 and asked that at the next hearing Wright attend in person or more detailed reasons for her absence be given.
Katrice’s father Richard Lee, 63, who lives off Stockton Road in Hartlepool, attended the hearing yesterday.
Later in the day, he was visited by civilian police family liaison officers acting on behalf of the Royal Military Police (RMP) who are conducting a reinvestigation into Katrice’s disappearance.
Richard, who was serving as a Sergeant Major when his daughter went missing, said the two officers who travelled from the RMP’s base in Bulford, Wiltshire, gave him updates on the investigation, including plans for Katrice’s story to be told across Europe via the TV programme.
The divorced former postman said: “A German production company is going to do the programme.
“I was under the impression they are going to do it by phone, but they will come across to England and are going to the RMP headquarters and to see Sharon and Natasha.
“There is also going to be a reconstruction as part of the programme.
“That’s got to be good news.”
Richard said this was the first visit by police representatives to his home since the RMP admitted failings in the investigation in December.
Richard added that he also told the officers how he felt throughout his ordeal.