Letterbox fire probe

0
Have your say

POLICE are investigating after a burning object was put through the letterbox of a house while two children were inside.

A worried mum phoned for help after finding the plastic item smouldering in her hallway, which soon filled with smoke.

The object had burnt itself out before police arrived at the house in Owton Manor Lane, Hartlepool, just after 11.15pm on Friday.

No damage was caused to the property, but police say it was a serious incident and their investigations are ongoing.

Scenes of crime officers will forensically examine the burning object and the doorway for clues.

CCTV footage from cameras near the property have also been checked by officers.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “A small, plastic item that looked to be burning was put through a letterbox and seemed to burn itself out fairly quickly.

“There were two children in the house at the time so we are taking it seriously and inquiries are ongoing.”

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to ring Hartlepool Police on (01642) 302178 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.