FIREFIGHTERS battled to save a farmer’s crops after a combine harvester caught fire.
Crews from Hartlepool fought the flames in a barley field off Marsh House Lane, Greatham, at around 8.30pm on Wednesday.
A brigade spokesman said the machine was being used at the time when hydraulic oil overheated causing the fire.
The spokesman said: “Putting the fire of the crops out was our major concern as it was spreading quite quickly with the dry weather.
“It was also near high voltage power lines which was another concern.”
The engine compartment of the combine harvester was destroyed by the fire.
Firefighters spent around an hour dealing with the incident.