‘Frozen’ baby is now three
A LITTLE boy who was frozen by medics as he battled a heart condition celebrated his third birthday yesterday.
Finley Burton was showered with presents by loving family for the special occasion his parents feared they might never see.
Finley, from Easington, made local and national headlines in 2010 after he was “frozen” and placed on an external pacemaker following complications after heart surgery.
He developed complications at just three months old after having surgery for two holes in the heart and a narrowing of a major artery.
His tiny heart went into a severe type of heart rhythm and medics took the unusual step of placing him on an inflatable “bag” and lowered his temperature to just 33.4C to stop any shivering disturbing the pacemaker.
Parents Donna Link-Emery, 30, and Aaron Burton, 34, thought he may not survive.
Excited Finley celebrated his birthday with a family tea yesterday at his nana Joan Link-Emery’s house.
Donna said: “He never really understood before because he was too young but this year he was really excited and he has been spoilt rotten.
“He was dressed as spider-man and was joined by his little cousins so it was a nice family day.”
Sadly, Donna’s dad Kevin, 54, could not be there as he was admitted to hospital last Wednesday.
The Mail previously reported how he is undergoing new innovative treatment called tomotherapy after being diagnosed with brain tumours.
Finley is now not due for another hospital check up until next year after being told at the start of the year he has a “happy heart”.
But there is a 50/50 chance he will need another operation when he is a teenager.
- Newcastle Utd boss tells owner: Give me three more players
- Liverpool and Sunderland fight for Tottenham’s Danny Rose and Man City’s Tevez is wanted by Juventus
- Death smash driver named
- AVB: If referee had given us penalty Spurs could have reached Champions League
- VIDEO: Flash floods ‘worst for years’
- £500,000 drug addiction cost Hartlepool businessman ‘everything’
- Hartlepool death crash driver may have been making u-turn
- Controversial plans to move hospital wards from Hartlepool to Stockton
- Ritchie Humphreys set for Hartlepool United exit but Sam Collins and Andy Monkhouse stay
- Hartlepool Utd to keep Sam Collins and Andy Monkhouse
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Hartlepool
Monday 20 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North